Kenya’s Online Payments Market
Population: 43.1 million
Mobile phone subscribers: 31.8 million
People who use mobile payments 26.2 million
Online Payments: Mobile Providers and Banks
Direct Pay Online, the leader of online payment and mobile payment processing in Kenya, offers a safe and secure credit card processing platform that enables customers to shop online and pay in real-time using credit cards, mobile money, or bank transfers.
3G Direct Pay Limited works with the following mobile providers:
- Airtel Money
And the following banks:
- Internet Service Providers and more..
Which payments forms you’ll be able to accept?
Regulation of Online Payments in Kenya
Kenya, and some other East African countries are positioned well for online payments in that governments have not imposed regulations limiting online payments. Currently, Kenyan businesses that accept online payments must comply only with the regulations set forth by the credit card companies themselves. For example: MasterCard requires that online businesses store and transmit payment card details properly; therefore, retailers must comply with the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard.Visa requires that, at minimum, you collect the following details from your customer:
- The card account number
- The name as it appears on the card
- The card expiration date as it appears on the card
- The cardholder’s statement address
- American Express recommends that if goods need to be shipped, you ship only to the cardmember’s billing address.
Who can open an account with Direct Pay Online?
Any travel related merchant / provider and E-commerce merchants (hotel, airline, travel agent, tour operator, tour guides etc.)
Travel Associations in Kenya
The travel industry is poised to greatly benefit from online payments in Kenya. These travel associations in the country can offer guidance for online merchants.
- Kenya Association of Tour Operators (KATO) is Kenya’s leading tourism trade association, representing the interests of some 200 experienced professional tour operators.
- Kenya Association of Travel Agents (KATA) is a national organization comprising of mainly IATA agents.
- The Eco-Tourism Society of Kenya (ESOK) provides the required support for the development of ecotourism and sustainable tourism in the country.
- Kenya Association of Hotelkeepers and Caterers brings together hotels, lodges, restaurants, membership clubs and prominent airline caterers whose all common theme is to render services in the hospitality industry.
Online Payments in Kenya: The Easy SolutionTo run a successful ecommerce business in Kenya requires you to accept online payments (including mobile payments). We offer a safe and secure credit card processing platform that enables customers to shop online and pay in real-time using credit cards, mobile money, or bank transfers. Get Started today.